- Departments & Services
- Department of Public Works
Department of Public Works
The mission of the Department of Public Works is to maintain the City of Leominster's water, sewer, and street systems in a prompt, courteous, safe, efficient and cost-effective manner for the protection of public safety. Public Works, through its dedicated employees, strives to plan, design, build, maintain and operate the public infrastructure in a manner that respects the environment and the ability of government to adequately preserve these assets for succeeding generations. We strive to adequately maintain the street infrastructure for safe and efficient movement of people, goods and services to enhance the economic vitality and livability of the city.
Some of our main programs and services are:
- Street Resurfacing
- Street Cleaning
- Engineering and Surveying
- Street Signs and Markings
- Sidewalks and Curbing
- Snow and Ice - Salting and Plowing
- Sewer Mains and I/I Remediation
- Street Drainage and MS4 Program
- Water Mains, Hydrants and Billing
- Evergreen Cemetery and Pine Grove Cemetery
The Department of Public Works Main Office is located at 109 Graham Street
Find the Leominster Department of Public Works on Facebook
Household Hazardous Waste & Yard Waste Collections for 2023
Hazardous Waste Collections:
- March 18, 2023, 9 am to Noon at the Department of Public Works Yard
- June 17, 2023, 9 am to Noon at the Department of Public Works Yard
- August 19, 2023, 9 am to Noon at the Department of Public Works Yard
- November 18, 2023, 9 am to Noon at Department of Public Works Yard (x)
(x) Secure paper shredder will be on site this date only!
Note: Latex paint will not be accepted as hazardous waste.
Yard Waste Collections
On the same day as your trash collection, no plastic bags.
- April 1, 2023, through May 19, 2023
- October 1, 2023, through November 17, 2023
Any questions please call the Health Department at 978-534-7500, ext. 3558
Hydrant Flushing Notice
The Leominster Department of Public Works-Water Division will be flushing the water distribution systems with the following schedule:
Fallbrook and Distributing system flushing will begin on April 3, 2023, until completed.
Distributing consists of Wards 2, 3, and 4, including Exchange, Central, Lancaster, Mechanic, and all side streets.
Fall Brook covers Wards 3, 4, Pleasant, Union, Grant, Pond and all side streets.
Notown Reservoir, which consists of Wards 5, 1, the West Side, North Main, Prospect, Harvard, all side streets and the entire North Leominster area.
All mains will be flushed first then the program will continue with all side streets.
Residents may experience dirty and turbid water at different times of the day and are asked to have patience during this period.
Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Stormwater Permit
This is a federal stormwater permit issued by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This permits the City of Leominster to operate a municipal stormwater system. See our Stormwater Management Program Plan (SWMP) document below.